Rumor has it Barneys New York will be all about peace and love this holiday season, but not in the traditional sense. It's the 50 anniversary of the peace sign, so what better way than to celebrate it by decorating your entire stores windows with the iconic symbol? But they aren't the only ones getting on the trend band wagon. Come September, expect to see the peace sign EVERYWHERE from shirts to spring sweaters as well as patterns. That boho chic look has been sort of in for a while, but now it's going to get REALLY hippie for Spring 2009. Ya heard it here first!
I get dizzy and sick every time I look at dresses like this one. Color fade is SUCH a fad, it really makes me cringe whenever I see it. This dress is by Alice and Olivia and usually love Stacey's stuff but wow this dress is not cool. Notice how it is a maxi dress AND paired with gladiator sandals!! No no nooooo!!!
EW. These are hideous and an other example of how something that was cool a couple seasons ago (Imitation of Christ Spring 2007) are now an official "summer trend." Definitely do not wear them with short shorts, skirts, skinny jeans, halter dresses, mini dresses OR maxi dresses!
I just saw an article in the the Myrtle Beach newspaper about how skulls are a new fashion trend. A "new" fashion trend?? Most of us were wearing skulls three years ago AND have totally moved on from it. But I did think this piece was interesting purely from a social perspective. If Myrtle Beach is just now recognizing skull icons are cool, I wonder when the skull trend is going to hit a place like Albuquerque, New Mexico??
Fortune magazine lists scarves, fashion sneakers (this means Lacoste and Michael Kors branded kicks), see-through clothes, industrial fabrics, and retail based spots to "hang out" as 5 hot fashion trends for 2008. Is this writer kidding? Clearly she didn't do her research! Last fall I spoke to several trend forecasters from the Doneger group as well as looking at research done by market and trend forecaster, Faith Popcorn for a piece I did in Forbes.com. This is what I came up with:
1) Menswear goes neon: That's right kids (ehem, men) you are going to see neon dominate everything from suits to over coats and shoes. If wearing a bright pink jacket is too much to handle, try rockin' a pair of green neon socks with a navy or grey suit.
2) Channel your inner Sid Vicious: If you work in an investment bank, then you definitely can't go too extreme with this trend either but wearing grommets on your shoes (like the Mad Mary Louboutin heel) is perfectly acceptible.
3) Stealth wealth is in: David Wolfe, creative director of the Doneger Group as well as [Faith] Popcorn agree lifestyles of the rich and famous are going to be embraced even more in 2008. What happens if you don't have $20,000 to drop on a fur coat? Fake it 'till you make it by purchasing faux.
4) It's not "industrial fabrics" silly, it's eco-friendly fabrics!!: Designers have been using fabrics made of plastic, rubber or recycled aluminum for decades. What's really hot right now are environmentally friendly fabrics made of organic cotton, hemp, bamboo or recycled polyester.
5) It's all about Beijing, baby: News flash- Beijing will be hosting the 2008 Olympics. Since this is a major global event, fashion will of course reflect it.